The Friend is based off of Crunchyroll's mascot, Crunchyroll-hime and sports a simplified version of her outfit. She has long red hair that fades into white at the ends at the ends, tied into a pony tail with a white ribbon. Red fox ears come out of her head with white fluff inside them and while she doesn't have a tail, her ponytail resembles one. She also has a front fringe with a white tip. She has an orange dress tied around the waist with a yellow bow. She has a bracelet on her right arm and an armsleeve on her left. She wears black shorts with a holster on her left leg with knee length high heels.
In the Source Material
Crunchyroll-Hime, also known as Hime, serves as the mascot character of anime streaming service Crunchyroll. Her design was created by Eunice Dahae Baik in a 2012 contest by Crunchyroll to create personified characters of the service along with Funimation, Aniplex and NISA. The official key art used on the site and promotional material was made by Shiori Abe, AOI Tsunami, and Nashira. Hime is treated as the "voice" of Crunchyroll; the site's social media posts are treated as if they come from her. There are also supernatural elements to her character, as she's a kitsune who utilizes the help of yokai to manage the Crunchyroll site and its social media.
In addition to being featured in Crunchyroll promotional material, she also features in the comedic 4koma series The Daily Life of Crunchyroll-hime, made by KATA. The series is available on Crunchyroll's manga service and posted on their Twitter. Hime is often portrayed as an anime-obsessed teenage girl with a mom, little sister, and pet cat. She works at Crunchyroll while also going to high school. She's good at basketball and has a crush on Vocaloid character Hatsune Miku.
Crunchyroll-Hime's cameo was announced the day of episode 8's airing in a promotional video featuring Serval's VA, Ozaki Yuka.
- Crunchyroll was a production partner for the 2017 Kemono Friends anime and airs the series outside of Japan on their site.
- Hime has made cameos in other anime including Komori-san Can't Decline and Wooser's Hand-to-Mouth Life. In Wooser's Hand-to-Mouth Life, she was voiced by Crunchyroll social media manager Victoria Holden who is responsible for how the character is presented online and in other media.
- The kitsune and ninja elements of Hime's design, as well as the orange color scheme, were inspired by the Naruto series.
- "Crunchyroll-Hime Birthday Video". Twitter.
- "Nashira key art announcement." Twitter.
- "Hime "runs" Twitter." Twitter.
- "Kemono Friends - Special Message". Twitter.
- "The Daily Life of Crunchyroll-Hime". Crunchyroll
- "Daily Life comic on Twitter". Twitter.
- "Holden's VA announcement". Twitter.
- "Interview with Holden". MyAnimeList.
- "Kemono Friends ANN Encyclopedia entry". Anime News Network.
|Byakko • Cerberus • Danzaburou-Danuki • Genbu • Inugami Gyoubu • Jinmengyo • Kamaitachi (Chi) • Kamaitachi (Setsu) • Kamaitachi (Ten) • Kinshachi • Merlion • Nine-Tailed Fox • Oinari-sama • Raijū • Seiryu • Shisa Lefty • Shisa Right • Suzaku • Yamata No Orochi • Yatagarasu|
|Peach Panther • Skyfish • Tsuchinoko|
|Sgt. Frog Friends|
|Dororo • Giroro • Keroro • Kururu • Tamama|
|Ghost in the Shell Friends|
|HAW-206 • Logikoma • Tachikoma Type-A • Tachikoma Type-B • Tachikoma Type-C • Uchikoma|
|Jungle Emperor Friends|
|Coco • Leo • Tommy|
|Miscellaneous Fictional Friends|
|Crunchyroll-Hime • Godzilla* • Hi-no-Tori* • Jack-o'-Lantern • Palcoarai-san • Palcoarai-san2 • Rabbit Yukine • Shiserval Lefty • Shiserval Right • Valcoara* • White Ezo Red Fox|